Here are some good reads for those who want a more critical approach to our recent crisis. These articles focus on structural and historic problems that led to the flash flooding in urban Metro Manila.
- Not an act of God but a sin of omission
- Gov’t, private developers liable for flood damage
- Flooding in Metro: Who to blame?
- Who do we blame for untrammeled mega-urbanization in Manila?
Some articles on PAGASA:
- PAGASA sought high-tech radars 5 years and 54 typhoons ago
- PAGASA not keen on modernization bills in Congress
And a reflection by Randy David, The gift of disasters.
Will be writing another one for my blog soon. Similarly, here was piece for 2006’s Milenyo — The Lost City.